Security Guard Ethics
1. To accept the responsibilities and fulfill the obligations of my role:
protecting life and property; preventing and reducing crimes against my employer’s
business, or other organizations and institutions to which I am assigned; upholding the law;
and respecting the constitutional rights of all persons.
2. To conduct myself with honesty and integrity and to adhere to the highest moral principles in
the performance of my security duties.
3. To be faithful, diligent, and dependable in discharging my duties and to uphold at all times
the laws, policies, and procedures that protect the rights of others.
4. To observe the precepts of truth, accuracy, and prudence, without allowing personal feelings,
prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my judgment.
5. To report to my superiors, without hesitation, any violations of the law or of my employer’s
or client’s regulations.
6. To respect and protect the confidential and privileged information of my employer or client
beyond the term of my employer, except where their interests are contrary to the law or to this
Code of Ethics.
7. To cooperate with all recognized and responsible law enforcement and government agencies
in matters within my jurisdiction.
8. To accept no compensation, commission, gratuity, or other advantage without the knowledge
and consent of my employer.
9. To conduct myself professionally at all times and to perform my duties in a manner that
reflects credit upon myself, my employer, and private security.
10. To strive to continually to improve my performance by seeking training and educational
opportunities that will better prepare me for my private security duties.
This code was created by the Task Force on Private Security and was sponsored by the National
Advisory Committee on Criminal Justice and Standards and Goals, 1976. This code serves as an
industry accepted benchmark for quality of service. The code of ethics provides guidance to
Security Officers in dealing with situations not specifically covered in written instructions.